Monday, October 3, 2011

Packaging

The topic today was packaging design and how the purpose of the design is important in the process of making the packaging. Our little task for this is to make our own business cards.

For mine I was going for simple and minimalistic. To be honest I designed it not to get a job, more like making someone take time doing what I want them to with the card.

I wanted the person to burn the card in order to reveal it and maybe burn the whole thing afterwards if they feel like it. It sure doesn't fit the objective of getting a job, but it does fit my objective: make people burn things by giving them an excuse to burn things. I'm sure a lot of people like fire :) It's warm and beautiful, but can get out of hand. I accidentally set the card on fire as you can see in one of the photos.



The invisible ink I used at the back is lemon juice. The acidity of the juice thins the paper it comes in contact with so it burns before the rest of the paper. Thus revealing the writing (McNally, 2010).


I did a test first on some scrap paper to see how it would turn out.


Then I tried it on some paper crinkled and soaked with tea, which was then left to dry. It didn't work on that because the tea also thinned out the paper so everything burned at the same time and couldn't reveal the letters.




___________________________________________________________________

References:

McNally, C. (2010). Why Does Lemon Juice Make Invisible Ink? Retrieved September 30, 2011 from http://www.ehow.com/facts_7313493_lemon-juice-make-invisible-ink_.html

No comments:

Post a Comment